Friday, April 29, 2011

Last night I had a dream about eating apple pie with Mary Evelyn. It was delicious and we ate slivers of it with our fingers without making a mess or getting sticky fingers.

 Mark and I moved to the least attractive apartment so far. After moving in, we went to the Golden Gate park across the street and had Belgian Waffles from a street vendor. My waffle came with caramel and Mark ordered chocolate on his. I held them both while he paid and the chocolate dripped on my clothes and into my open purse but I didn't notice it at first.  By the time I discovered it, it was not like my dream - I was a sticky mess.    I went back to the apartment to clean up and saw that the knobs were off the washing machine  so i wasn't sure of the water temperature or the spin cycle. After a few false starts and odd noises I got it to work.
 
After I rejoined Mark, we strolled in the warm spring sunshine to another park  where we found a bench in dappled shade to read. I re-read  Wuthering Heights on my kindle.  Part of the story is about  man who does not accept the death of the woman he loves to the point of becoming  mad in the colorful way only a gothic character out on a moor in the early 1800's would go mad. He sees her ghost everywhere and wanders around in the moonlight muttering to himself. Another character does accept the death of the woman he loves (of course it's the same woman) and  he chooses to trust God.  He doesn't go mad, just becomes stronger, kinder and wiser. Then, he dies young and the mad guy gets all his money and control of his daughter. I'd forgotten all that when I picked it out, I chose it because I couldn't resist the word "wuthering".   

We had lunch at a Ukrainian style restaurant in the park called O'Panos which had a special deal: salad, soup, main course and a drink for $6!  It was very delicious. Mark's drink was a Ukrainian specialty called kvas which is like a beer flavored soft drink. It's not like root beer, it's more like warmish beer with bubbles. I was grateful for my Hawaian Punch type drink. The tricky part about drinks here  is that they are not very cold and there's no ice. It makes sense that there's no ice because they'd have to freeze bottled water to make it because the tap water is not usually  drinkable. The food was all very good and the restaurant was pretty. It had a thatched roof, a waterwheel and simple, colorful stencils painted on the white washed walls.

Back at the apartment, I discovered that in order to reach the clothesline, I need to climb up on a very old ladder. This apartment is odd. There are no drinking glasses to use, but there are several sets of decorative teapots. The rooms are sort of wedge shaped and narrow with high ceilings which combine to give me an unsettled feeling of being pulled to the inside wall. There's a small, creepy, unreachable door in the wall  up above the hallway. I don't want to know what is behind it and am already afraid of nightmares about it. 

We have an appointment today at the SDA to request our third referral appointment. It's just a formality and we won't hear about any possible kids. We just wait and try not to worry.

Thankfully tonight we'll have dinner with the other parents we met so that gives us something to look forward to day.

We saw on the news about the destructive storms and tornadoes back home. It looked scary. I hope things are better there.     






A view of another part of the city:



The creepy door:

Can you guess what the sign above the store says?

It says: Brrr

1 comment:

  1. Love and miss you so much!!!! Can't wait to see you and my new nephews/ nieces! Know we are praying for you daily. Sending lots of hugs!!!!

    ReplyDelete