Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Empty Chair

I was crying in the French cafe today. I've been crying a lot from all the stress of uncertainties, the grief of missing Mary Evelyn, facing my own weaknesses and sheer exhaustion. This afternoon I was crying because there was an empty chair at our little table and I wished Mary Evelyn was sitting in it. I ached with missing her sweet self.

Mark persuaded me to tell him why I was crying and although I felt foolish, I told him the truth. He said that we have a choice. We can go through the rest of our lives with that empty chair, with nothing but our grief and memories, or we can fill up that chair and build our lives again. It's hard to let go of the familiar pain, of this time of mourning, because it is a way of keeping Mary Evelyn closer in a way by keeping her chair empty at our table.

There are three children who also have empty chairs. They are at their table with no mommy or daddy and we could invite them to come sit with us. We can try to help them deal with their losses and and bring them love and joy. We can give them a home in place of their orphanage.

Tomorrow we travel four hours south of Kiev to meet three  new children. The oldest girl is 10, the boy is 9 and the littlest girl just turned 6. Everyone has said they are very sweet, loving and happy. We are hoping to form a bond with them and bring them home. We plan to stay in their village for the next few days along with our sweet translator. We'll play with the kids each day and take the time to get to know them.

We hope to keep our hearts open and also hope there is no fainting this time!

We hope to fill our chairs and and honor Mary Evelyn's request to be happy and not sad, but still expect that of course the grieving will continue and that tomorrow will bring fresh crying. I hope and pray that God will give me the grace to see beyond the grief and loss I feel, which is accentuated by opening up to new children, and to see the need of these little ones and the joy that they will bring all of us.    

5 comments:

  1. What a beautiful image, that of all of you with empty chairs coming to the same table.

    Our prayers go with you tomorrow. May it be blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Em and Sarah.....YES! YES! YES!!!! We want THESE cousins! They are our age!!!!! We are SOOOOO EXCITED!!!!!! Love you and miss you! Oh and P.S. ...say yes!!
    From Angela...love you guys so much! Praying for you today and sending BIG hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, what a beautiful image! Thinking of you today as you meet these three children. Hope your prayers are answered soon. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't help but think that the timing seems so perfectly symbolic... As we enter the final days of Holy Week and prepare to celebrate the HOPE of the Resurrection, the JOY of a new life in Christ, you prepare to meet these children and hopefully change all of your lives. And perhaps especially today when we commemorate Christ on the cross, when He laid Himself bare and gave His all for us in order to change everything, you will take a leap of faith and meet these children. I admit I cannot even being to understand how hard this must be for you, but I will pray that that which sustains our faith sustains you in this challenging time. Prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This may or may not help and it's something that people will rarely admit. Not EVERYONE bonds with their brand new baby the 1st time they hold them or see them. Everyone has the stories of love at first sight and how it was an immediate bond. In all reality, no one wants to say that they were handed their new baby and thought, "Oh my! Who is this person?" My best friend and one of the best Mom's that I know felt this way. It took her a month to look at her baby and feel that swell of love that so many people feel immediately. It didn't make her a bad mom. She needed for her love to grow and to get to know this new little person. It wasn't an instant feeling.

    Ok so all of that to say that I pray that you will go easy on yourselves. I don't believe you have to fall in love at first sight with these children. I think you will know if it feels right. I know I've only known you a short time but I truly believe that you have a lot of love in you and you will be able to love these children as you all get to know each other.

    You are both in my constant prayers and I pray for a peace to come over you both with this decision.

    Love,
    Christina Olvey

    ReplyDelete