Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Jumping In the Pool

Last night I dreamt that Mary Evelyn was dying and I was begging God on my knees to spare her life. Really living those days was so stressful that I was almost grateful when I woke up and remembered it has been over for almost six months. I know that may sound bad, but I’ve come to a more accepting view of death and it was horrible to watch Mary Evelyn suffer without being able to cure her. A couple of weeks ago, I was in the church nursery when a toddler started choking on a wheat thin. I picked her up and placed her across my lap, face down, and was about to smack her on the back when the cracker dislodged and she started protesting loudly. I was thankful that I helped this sweet baby and it was a healing experience for me. It was wonderful to feel like I had helped a child after feeling so helpless as Mary Evelyn died.

Adopting is a way to affirm life even while we are grieving. My parents set a great example for me of moving forward after tragedy. My mother was widowed with five young children. She mourned her husband (she cried for a whole year) and then moved forward with her children and created a happy home for them in spite of many difficulties. She got a good job, threw wonderful birthday parties and eventually found a new husband and father for them. My father was a single parent with two daughters so when Mom and Dad got married, they instantly had seven children. That seems a lot crazier than going to Ukraine to adopt 2-3 children, but that was the family I was born into (yes, I am #8) and so I feel a little silly when I let myself get too scared about adopting.

When Mark and I were first dating, I visited my sister Cathy and told her and her husband Kenny about Mark. Kenny, who had known me since I was thirteen, asked me if this was the one. He said, you’ve never really jumped in the pool. I thought about that and decided he was right. I’d always been so busy protecting my heart I’d never let myself be very open. I’d stuck my toes in the water, but never had the courage to jump in. I decided that if I was ever going to jump in the pool, I’d want it to be with Mark. Of course, as soon as I decided that, Mark stopped calling me and it took many months for things to work out, but in the long run we got married. My decision to be vulnerable caused me some immediate heartache, but brought joy later.

Adopting a child from another country is like getting married, but in some ways it’s even more of a commitment because once it’s done, you can’t get out of it without creating an international incident! We’re going to meet the kids in less than two weeks. They’ll become our kids days later. This is surely jumping into the pool again, but isn’t that what life is about? If you stay safe on the edge, when does your life really happen? You usually can’t accomplish anything great or meaningful without some risks taken.

I would not have chosen this, I’d have chosen to keep my girl here and cancer free. I did pray, many times, in real life for God to spare her life and let her stay with us. I miss her so much it’s hard to let myself think about her for very long right now. I would have wanted to have kept my sweet little Mary Evelyn with me, but it was beyond my control and in faith I believe that God had His reasons for this. In the weeks to come, God willing, we will have the opportunity to be a great blessing to children who need us. Although I miss my dovelet every day, I feel her presence in my life. The faith, courage and love that Mary Evelyn had inspires me and the silly fun way she lived life still brings me joy and lessens my grief. Hopefully, with God's grace, we can share that love and joy with her new little siblings.

With hope, faith and prayer, Mark and I are moving forward into our new lives, jumping into the pool with new kids, and trying to focus on our gratitude for the loving people who surround us in our grief and our joy. We can see the loving hand of God in our lives though your kindness and this helps us to have the courage and the capability to do something as crazy as go to Ukraine and bring home children.Thank you for your prayers and love throughout this time.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Edna - So great to see you and Mark the other night! You are in my prayers for a safe journey to Ukraine and a smooth process while you are there. Looking forward to keeping up with your blog...

    Beth Warren

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think things that are scary in the beginning generally turn out to be the most rewarding. Except do not tell me that when I am at the foot of a roller coaster. That is an exception.

    ReplyDelete
  3. May you have a safe trip to the Ukraine. It is a wonderful time in your life that you will look on and be so glad you did it. Mary Evelyn will always be with you in your heart and soul forever. New children won't take that away. You all are great parents and have alot of love to share. These children will be so greatful and forever loving for what you are about to do for them. Will keep checking in? P>S> Did Mark tell you I called the other day when you were getting your hair done???
    Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Edna! Thanks for starting this blog to keep us updated about your adoption process. I wish you safe and successful travels next week.

    Just know that we are still thinking about you a lot and Erin still talks about you and your family.

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Edna,

    I know this isn't the proper thread to be putting this comment under. Sorry about that.

    I wanted to thank you for what you wrote on Mary Evelyn's Caring Bridge site: after she reposed you wrote that you realized she now knew more than you did - that she was in the presence of God and was now able to pray for you as you so constantly prayed for her. At the time this really stuck with me. I'm glad it did.

    I found out I lost my baby today at almost 13 weeks. Remembering what you wrote about Mary Evelyn is a tremendous comfort. Thank you for sharing your heart with us during what was a horribly difficult time. I had been praying for ME for years and still pray for her and you every day. I was heartbroken when she died and thought that God must have realized he had a weaking on his hands indeed when he made me; I thought I could never survive the loss of a child. But my heart is still beating and the flowers are still blooming.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Edna, Wishing you a safe journey to meet the child(ren) who will join your loving family. Thank you for offering a blog to all those who care about you, Mark, Thomas and Mary Evelyn. I would miss your beautiful, funny and loving stories. Be safe! Hayley

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Edna,

    Frank mentioned you are visiting Crimea for your adoption. I recently found out there is an unfolding situation that is quite serious along the coast of Crimea and would advise not spending too much time at the coast. The following is an article on the subject:

    Crimea's Black Sea Chemical Weapon Time Bomb

    http://templestream.blogspot.com/2011/04/crimeas-black-sea-chemical-weapons-time.html

    I'll be visiting the U.S. soon but if you'd like a local missionary to help you with the process or lodging needs, let me know:

    Rickwarden(at)writeme.com

    God bless you,

    Rick

    ReplyDelete
  8. Edna and Mark
    Thanks for the updates. Praying for peace with your many decisions. It must be so terribly difficult. I believe you are very prepared for this journey and I am sending prayers of encouragement. It is so exciting and frightening.
    Peace be with you,
    Anne Mallon

    ReplyDelete