Monday, February 6, 2012

Feb 5 th

A sleeping pill, taken after dinner on the flight, was a great way to adjust to the time change. Mark slept very well, I was still a little fretful, but the flight went by quickly and suddenly we were in Munich.
As we searched for the next gate, we walked by a big fashion advertisement. As I gazed blearily at the enormous models, I suddenly realized I was seeing double. I looked around and sure enough, people were overlapping themselves in my vision. It was unsettling.
Our gate was quiet so I laid down on a few chairs and slept for the next three hours. When I woke , it was crowded but only with people who were really there- no more double vision.
Mark took me to get a nice breakfast, complete with a huge cappuccino, and I was back to normal and less tired than on the other trips.


Whe we arrived in Kiev I felt almost native.I recognized the passport control man from the last trip and a policewoman spoke to me in Ukrainian. I was very flattered at being mistaken for a Ukrainian woman because they are all beautiful. We went through the airport with no problems which is more than I can say about leaving Atlanta because I got pulled out of line and frisked invasively there. I knew it wasn't a big deal in the sense that I'm innocent and it could happen to anyone,  but it still almost made me cry from being in the situation where a stranger can touch you in places strangers should never touch you and  in a such public place.  
It was nice to breeze through Kiev. Leo was there to greet us and then we had a welcoming dinner with our translators. We are blessed to have become friends with them. Tomorrow we'll head out at 4:45 am to drive through the frozen countryside to Kovel. It's a six hour drive and may take a little longer since it's been especially cold and snowy in Ukraine and eastern Europe this past week. Today was warmer: a high of -8. Tomorrow is expected to be a high of -21.brrrrr.

We're looking forward to arriving in Kovel and seeing our kids.

2 comments:

  1. I cried last time I was in an airport because I refuse to go through the newer full body scanners because I feel it is an invasion of privacy. The agents spoke to me as I felt only someone up to no good would deserve. I guess there aren't really any good options. I cross my fingers and hope I am not picked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. praying, praying, praying!

    That weather is almost as cold as Montana! (j/k!)

    ReplyDelete