Monday, May 23, 2011

Oil of Gladness

Mark  reminded me of the verse he wrote in the beginning days about sowing in sorrow and reaping with a shout of joy. I said there was joy, but didn't think the real shout of joy would happen for me until we're all together with Mary Evelyn. It feels like there is such a big part of my heart missing, I said I couldn't imagine a shout of joy even in these happy times. Mark disagreed and said I was wrong to not be more open to a joyful future. He reminded me that Mary Evelyn herself said she wanted people to be happy when they thought of her. We got into what we agreed was a rather ridiculous semantic argument about what constitutes a "shout" of joy vs just regular joy, and finally, tired of ourselves, decided to take a walk since it was late in the afternoon.

We had only walked a few blocks when we heard the sound of singing. It was coming from a nearby church. We were not dressed for church and were on our way to get coffee and tiramasu, so we just stood outside the gate and listened for a few minutes. A woman approached us and invited us inside. We showed that we'd like to but were not dressed appropriately.  She said it didn't matter and led us in anyway.  She got a scarf for me and then arranged it correctly on my head and motioned for Mark to come in, too.  He was hanging towards the back so the "babushkas" (old women) wouldn't be scandalized by his shorts and t-shirt in church.  But again she insisted and led him in with me to the center of the small but beautiful new church.  The icons were particularly wonderful. It was the end of a versperal liturgy, so after a few more minutes we got anointed with oil, then the service was over. She gave us holy water to drink and asked us in Ukrainian where we were staying and how long we'd be here. She invited us to come back next Sunday. She was one of the friendliest people we've met so far on this journey and her kindness had a greater effect than she may have imagined.

Here is a photo:




We walked on our way to the restaurant feeling lighter of spirit. I told Mark that I actually felt happy. He said that the anointing oil is for healing, but it's also the oil of gladness. It certainly was for me as I felt more peaceful than I have in a long time.  It truly seemed a divine intervention that we passed that way just then and were compelled to come and receive that anointing--a message to confirm that God has joy prepared for us. 

After our tiramasu, we walked to the river which was lovely. Lots of families were enjoying the park, having picnics, fishing or just walking like we were.  There were lots of dandelions in the fields, making it look like a "wish" paradise. Mary Evelyn, like most children, loved making wishes and would really like the way no one in Ukraine seems to think dandelions  are weeds. They grow freely in yards and look pretty. We took this photo to show you that children are correct, dandelions are flowers:




When we got home, I checked my e-mail and was surprised to see that my friend Robert had e-mailed me a story about a woman whose family died and she didn't want to keep living. In the story, she grieves so heavily that she doesn't accomplish the tasks in life that God had for her and she dreams that she dies and the family members who she longed to see in heaven are surprised to see her  and are sad for her because she came to heaven without doing what she was meant to do in this life. She realizes that Her deep grieving didn't honor them when it kept her from doing what she needed to do here.

Say amen or say ouch. Well, I know that grieving is part of my current experience. I also know the loss of a child is a lifetime loss and there will never be a time when I'll not feel that, but at the same time, while I'm alive I need to do what is in front of me to do and I should be open to the experience of joy.

Sasha certainly has no problem with joy even with the losses he's faced. Today, he was very happy eating chocolate frogs, playing frog checkers with me and being silly with Mark. It is amazing how happy the children are at the orphanage. They all have much to grieve, but they are playful and certainly joyous. Even the teenagers look happier than many more fortunate teenagers I've seen at home.

Here are a few shots from the playground today: 

2 comments:

  1. Oh, thank you for sharing that story about the woman grieving so much she didn't do what she was supposed to do on earth. That was exactly what I needed to hear. Sometimes it's hard to keep on going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. JOY: if you want you can sing the song! love!

    ReplyDelete